Thursday, September 12, 2013

My First Show

21431_711438145538789_1936641247_n

Back in August Sgt and I packed up our vintage things and did our first ever antique show!  The antique show was located at our local county fair grounds and the spots were free this year so Sgt and I decided to give it a go!  We packed up the truck and we moved to the fair!  Here's where it gets a bit tricky.  I'm not gonna lie, I was very upset when I got there and discovered our booth space was located in the old tractor building in the far back dark, dirty corner...the county fair was held there the week before...can you say dirty?!.   Ummm hello,  there were only two other dealers in the middle of the barn and no dealers in the front part.  Who was gonna walk the whole way to the back just to see me???  So, after a bit of discussion we were allowed to move to the front section and  given all the space up there to do what ever we wanted with it!   Lets just say I went home and got out my vintage party lights and pink flamingos because we had now proclaimed our little barn as the "party barn"!  We brought the glider plus the patio table and chairs ...and yes, I even sold one of my fab 50's patio umbrellas to a Deluxeville reader!  See, I'm SO not a hoarder! hahaha

IMG_0825 

I will just say, I brought the vintage clothing!  I cleaned out my closet...much to Sgt's delight and brought it all down to the fair grounds!  Hats, purses, men's, women's, children's...you could find it all in my booth!  We took up three whole spaces with all our goods...plus some space opposite the booth. I even built a changing room from PVC pipe just for the show!    I really wanted to bring an exciting booth to the show....something in the way of Farm Chicks show booths...after all I am an East Coast Farm Chick, right?! 

Stuff!! 
 IMG_0827

Having fun at the antique show!  Even met a DeluxeVille blog reader!! Cool!! Sold them my awesome 1950s patio umbrella...yes, I parted with one! :)

 IMG_0830 

Here's a few things I learned by the time it was all said and done!  
~Doing shows are a lot of work!
~Vintage clothing and mid-century doesn't sell to older clientele but the few and far between younger generations loved it!
~Get more sleep and worry less!
~You might not always make a bunch of money but you'll meet some really awesome people!
~Being in an old barn is great, when you are right up front and can put on a show.
~Charming husbands come in handy, it's way important to have a partner!


1230102_711436622205608_1201997402_n 

Over all, I received a lot of nice compliments on the booth from different people. Every show is different and what didn't sell here for me might have sold really well some where else and vice versa. I had other dealers offer me lots of great ideas about places to try out.  It was a great experience and we are talking about trying again next year...we'll just need to invest in a box truck or something, I vote for vintage camper!!

MaryDeluxe

8 comments:

  1. WOW that is so cool!!! we had a garage sale and I purged a lot, it was a lot of work! I hear the Brooklyn Flea is good but I never went there, you can make good money I heard...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your first show! You certainly do have a lot of lovely items. I've thought about doing a show but it's pretty small in Northern Nevada. I think the median age out here is in the early 50s. Not a lot of younger people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I wish I could've attended. :) Those boots are to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How neat! Your booth looks swell, and with all the vintage goodies inside how could one NOT stop and take a look!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a great show and your booth was the best! My husband and I really enjoyed meeting you both and will take excellent care of the beautiful umbrella. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a great show and your booth was the best! My husband and I really enjoyed meeting you both and will take excellent care of the beautiful umbrella. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a great show and your booth was the best one there. My husband and I really enjoyed meeting you both and will take excellent care of the beautiful umbrella. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete