Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Ugly Chicken Stage

Just dropping in for a quick hello and to share a few pictures of the girls! They have reached what we refer to as "The Ugly Chicken" phase...when their feathers start coming in and changing them from cute chick, to awkward teenage chick. I sure hope they aren't expecting braces!

IMG_8342

IMG_8349

IMG_8362

IMG_8366

IMG_8384

As you can see, the chicken whisperer is still on duty and from time to time receives a chicken kiss for her efforts! This of course she absolutely loves and makes her all excited! There's nothing she loves more then when the chickens acknowledge her presence. This will be a big chicken coop building weekend around The Simple Acre, we've built the floor and framed in three walls so far, but have lots more yet to do before the girls get to call it home. I wonder how Sgt would feel about a turquoise painted chicken coop?


13 comments:

  1. That coop is totally cute. One thing to watch for at this stage is that they sometimes peck at each others' new feather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info Mistress, we will keep an eye out for any bad behavior. So far so good!

      Delete
  2. You should find some antique rose colored chicken eyeglasses. They are for real but have fallen out of fashion. LOL. Serious they were a real item for chickens at one time, thought to prevent them from cannibalizing each other as they do sometimes. If your planning on having eggs eventually, pickup crushed oyster shells from a local farm supply to ensure strong egg shells.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous!! I can't have chickens where I live . Love the coop it is perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aahh bless him he is protecting them ;-) They are so cute even if a bit ugly at present it must be really exciting watching their development. dee ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That chicken coop is so fab, I would live there ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I could cry, your chickens are just TOO cute. I have always wanted to have some chickens but it's not possible where we live. Please please keep posting pictures of yours!

    That henhouse is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My friend feeds her adult chickens flax seed from time to time in order to get eggs filled with Omega-3.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah they're so cute! I love that chicken coop! It is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The chickens are so ugly they're cute. And the dog is darling. I have a particular fondness for black labs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha- awkward teenage chickens with a crush (on the dog). I love that coop; I so want to build one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. awww they are still cute.I think the turquoise would be pretty.

    ReplyDelete