Sunday, February 7, 2010

Sunday with George

Below you will see a picture of the four oldest DeVine children with their grandmother or my great-great grandmother. George is the youngest in the picture. Dot on the right, Edward in front and Catherine on the left. According to George in his letter to Fran, they were "hellions" as children! I'm guessing the picture is from 1919/1920.




March 31, 1941

Sunday 10:30

Dear Fran:

The family just left for York, taking the two kids with them, so once again things are like they should be, on the farm, quiet. Mother said since John was home from school, she wanted the whole family together. So they were here for dinner and supper. And DeVine Bros. supplied the chickens. We all had a good time, talking about the things we did when us four older ones were little. We sure were hellions, so they tell me.

Was fooling around the incubator for the last couple of hours, that thing sure does keep a fellow in suspense. I believe I must have had at least half of the eggs out, just to see how they were coming along. I hold them up against a light, then you can see what's going on inside. They look good so far. But I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch. Or should I be conceited and say that I'm going to get a 90% hatch? So far we sold over 1300 chickens. Not bad for a couple of beginners, and better times are yet to come. I know it. The farmers are just starting to put their chickens in so I will go out on the highways and byways, looking for farmerettes. The women always raise the chickens on the farm. Then I will hand them a nice line, and sell a few thousand more, etc, etc, etc. But I will be thinking of my honey in New Oxford.

How about me seeing you Thursday, honey? Or Friday, or Saturday, and Sunday. That way I can see you twice in one week.

I missed you this morning lazybones. But I guess you had better get your sleep now, because after we're Mr. and Mrs. I aint letting my woman sleep much nights.

So long honey.
George

P.S. Let me know what night suits you.

3 comments:

  1. WOW this is sooooooooooooo cool I love these pictures and the letters are so cool I wish i had letter!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOOh, how risque'! Wish men still wrote letters! Zootsuit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha oh he's got such a wonderful way of writing! xx

    ReplyDelete