Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A Five Year Weight Journey

Tonight I was thinking to myself as I was running on the treadmill....5 years ago, I couldn't have done a 3 mile run because I was overweight, unhealthy, and just plain miserable with myself. I weighed over 150 pounds... hell, I probably weighed over 155 pounds. I never would look at the scale when they weighed me at the doctor's office because I was in denial. I knew I was overweight, but I didn't want to know how much because I didn't think I could ever change it. So, I choose to ignore it instead.


Summer 2005 before starting my journey...in 150's
Not the best photos but it gives you an idea! I hated having my photo taken.


Me 2004 over 150 probably closer to 160! Hiding beside BF.

Just so you know, I have always struggled with my weight. I was chubby in HS and then got really skinny in college (105!)...go figure right...don't people usually gain weight in college?? Then I would just continue a cycle in my 20's.....gain some weight ....get motivated...lose the weight....gain it back....and so on. By 2005, I was sick of myself yet again and decided to join weight watchers! I actually went on a diet before I joined weight watchers so I wouldn't be as embarrassed when I got weighed in...I know, how pathetic! I only lasted at weight watchers about a month or so....I did lose 6 pounds but decided it wasn't really for me and joined a gym instead. I'm lucky because I do enjoy exercising and decided to use the tool I learned at weight watchers...tracking my calories with exercise. I've been doing this ever since! I guess some of you want to know how much I weigh now?? Today I weighed in at 125 pounds! I've been in the 120's now for the last 2 years. I stay in the lower 120's when I'm tracking my calories and staying accountable. When I fall off the tracking calorie wagon and the exercise regime, I will end up back in the upper 120's. 130 is what I consider my panic number and that's when I have a major talk with myself and get myself back in gear again. My goal is to eventually reach 115. I'm 5'3" so that's within the normal range for weight at my height. It might take me another 2 years to do it and that's okay with me. I'm in no hurry and I feel great!


Me... end of March 2010...compare with the top picture. Hello 27" waist, and petite curves...I love you! I also have worked really hard to get you!!!

The last 5 years of my life has been about me working at a commitment I made to myself back in 2005. I couldn't stand myself any longer and decided to stop denying my weight and unhealthy life before it became much worse then it was. I don't know if I had an "aha" type moment or anything, it was more about me choosing to take better care of myself, work hard and kick ass! Losing all the weight at once wasn't something I did right away either, just like I didn't gain all my weight over night, losing weight is a slow process for me. I lose weight, hit a plateau, stay stuck for awhile, get unmotivated, fall off task, get excited again, get back on track...etc.... hahaha is it the " Oprah cycle" or perhaps I should just call it living life but not losing sight of the commitment I made to myself 5 years ago. It's never to late to change your life!

30 comments:

  1. You are beautiful MaryD both inside an out :) Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why you got the "inspirational blogger award"! You are amazing. Good on you :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!!! I know how hard it is...believe me!!! Losing weight myself, is one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life. Keep up the awesome work! You look AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look amazing! Your commitment to your health is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopefully I can be one day proud of myself too. ;) I'm starting that same journey once again...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Mary well done, this rings so true with me, I'm short and overweight, I've always struggled with my weight but lately I'm more and more fed up with it. I'm also surrounded by people doing something about theirs and I think why aren't I doing something about mine, I can't wear what I want to wear and I have some beautiful clothes, thanks for being a reminder that it can be done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You post give me a good boost to continue my healthy diet. Few visible results since 2 months but at least i avoid cancer risks. This is a combat on many years. Thanks for sharing your experience.
    (PS : I love your sailor girl pics.)

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, you are such a inspiration! I've also been dealing with my weight and only just getting back to taking care of myself. You give me so much more hope!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - good job! You're adorable. And inspirational. I want my jeans to look that cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's an amazing journey, gal,and you look fantastic! Awesome

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this post sounds like I was writing it! I'm hovering around the 145-ish mark and it's definitely too much for my short self. lol Thanks for the inspiration, you look marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary, this post came at just the right time for me. I've been cycling up and down for the last few years, typically using a doctor-recommended liquid diet. You're right, exercise and counting calories is the only healthy way to do it. Thanks for being an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow you are so inspiring, congratulations you look fantatstic. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats!!! You look fabulous and are sooo inspiring me to work out. I'm not over weight (well not by a lot) but I'm terribly lazy and would drink a strawberry milkshake everyday if it were up to me. In fact, some weeks I do... I need to be healthier though and I know it! Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! What an awesome thing you have done for yourself - really take charge of your life. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looking fabulous !!! Congratulations on your success.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing! I am standing here in my workout clothing (just got back from the gym) and drinking a protein shake- I too have to work out to keep my figure. I too have my ups and downs. But it is stories like yours that keep me motivated. Well, that and my vintage clothing obsession!

    Thanks doll,
    The Glamorous Housewife

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, this feels like a message. I've just hot that point of deciding to change my health & lifestyle, and now you've made me see I really can do it (and I'm higher than 155!).

    Thanks for sharing your awesome story!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You look absolutely fantastic. 27" waist and beautiful hourglass curves!! You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for being so honest. We're about the same height and I weigh about as much as you used to. I'm getting there, about 8 pounds down and only 32 to go! Thanks for showing me what can be done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. GOOD FOR YOU!!!! You look amazing and I am going through the same thing myself right now. Battling between motivation and unmotivation...thanks for your post. I can't wait to post my "AFter" photos!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great job! And you look absolutely perfect! When you posed in the asian dress I thought Wow, I wish I looked like that, lol! You're very thin but still have curves.

    I know, I am 5'1/2 and weigh about 115, I wouldn't mind losing a few more pounds, but feel pretty comfortable, only downside is when you are close to 40 like me you get a little fat tummy that doesn't wanna go away with the rest of the weight. :OP

    I used to be TOO skinny, some people laugh but I weighed 82 lbs when I got married, and hated it, I looked anorexic but I wasn't, I ate junk food or whatever but couldn't gain, found a stomach problem and that helped some, but one medication made me gain too much weight and I went up to 131, ugh, on my short body that's not good, but went off that pill and the pounds finally went away!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are a beautiful lady and a wonderful inspiration. You have inspired me to keep on trucking with my weight goals. Congrats on taking it off and keeping it off! It's a life time journey and you make me happy that i'm not the only one on it. You look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations! You're gorgeous. :) You were still gorgeous before as well. I wouldn't never have guessed you weighed in the 150's or 160's.

    I've never struggled with weight problems, (at least not yet. C:) but I'm about the same as you. 5'3" and 126.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have been wanting to see that diet you posted last year! My friend is doing really well, and she's doing it the right way, too. I've gone up and down, but usually with fad diets, never sticking with the healthy way and exercise. I know I would feel so much better. Zootsuitmama

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am a little bit sad to say this, but there is someone very close to me I won't call out who I wish read blogs so I could politely point her in this direction somehow. I see her headed exactly where you were 5 years ago but the pulling through part... concerns me. Lots of the denial, excuses, no offense but almost kinda alcoholicy "I can't help myself, it's not my fault, everyone else is tempting me" kinda talk. I mean, short of an intervention, what can a person do?
    Congrats on your own success, I hope this will at least inspire someone to take their health seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You are beautiful either way! But I bet you feel so much better and healthier now.

    ReplyDelete