Friday, January 21, 2011

A Sad Day In My Vintage World...

I learned early this morning on facebook that my favorite vintage shop, the one I've been going to since I was in high school in the late 80's caught fire last night and was completely destroyed. The owner Steve Murray was also badly burned and transported to a burn hospital were he is listed in critical but stable condition. Today is such a sad day. When I was in high school, this was one of the places that sparked my love for vintage. Actually, Steve had 3 very cool alternative shops happening on the 300 block of N. Queen St. in Lancaster city. I loved all three. In my early 20's, I rented my first apartment in the city from Steve and spent some time working for him in his shops. You would be completely AMAZED at the things he had, it was like a vintage wonderland and I'm completely devastated to know that everything he has collected and worked for all these years is now all gone. You can read more about the story here at the local news channel website...but do you really want to look at vintage going up in flames?? My prayers go out to Steve and his family.

IMG_2196

16 comments:

  1. My heart breaks that all those treasures are gone from this world :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's horrible. I am sad to hear of the loss. :(

    PS. There is no way you are older than me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how devestating! my thoughts go to Steve. Even though the store is destroyed, I hope he will recover fast

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that is horrible! I'll be sending lots of prayers and thoughts their way. I hope he recovers soon, that's just terrible about the shops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no... that's really tragic. So many stories lost.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no, that is just awful! What a crushing blow. My heart goes out to him. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. That just made me want to cry! That is just so horrible. My thoughts are with the family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sad!!! This same thing happened to a really amazing vintage shop in Albuquerque and it took her years to reopen. I can only imagine what was lost. At least Steve is ok though!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh how random. today has been the worst day ever! 2 girls at my salon (roomates) apartment burned down. birds included. Everything was burned to a crisp... SO SAD!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness I do hope he is ok, sounds fairly serious for him. It is sad that all that vintage is lost and I can only imagine how fabulous some of it was, but as long as he's ok that's the most important thing. Sending best wishes to him

    ReplyDelete
  11. How utterly sad! I'm so very sorry for the shop owner and hopes he recovers both physically and emotionally. For you, it's so sad when one of our childhood special places is no more and that someone you knew is also hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness! That is just devastating! So sorry to hear this, I hope he makes a full recovery. Even though it is just an overwhelming thought to think of all the amazing stuff he lost, at least he is o.k. and alive.

    My best wishes~Syd

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's so horrible! I hope that he'll be okay. I know that he must be in terrible pain. :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love these old nostalgia shops in all shape and form so sad to hear of shop burning with unique items my prayers shall be said for steve and family and friends
    ps do you still wear those vintage cateye glasses that suited you so well andy england

    ReplyDelete