Friday, May 4, 2012

A Few More Estate Auction Finds

Here are a few more finds from that fabulous estate auction I went to the other weekend.  As I stated in my previous post, this was a very neato estate with an over whelming amount of mid-century everyday items.  My purchases were kind of random at best.  When prices are high at auctions like this one, I generally pick out a few things that I really, really want and then try to obtain them while sticking to my budget.  It's really all about self control, knowing that things won't always go your way and accepting the old favorite MaryDeluxe phrase..."it just wasn't meant to be." There were so many wonderful things up for auction, but these were a few of my favorites.

A 1940's celluloid ring box in that wonderful seafoam green color I love so much.  I've been wanting an old ring box for a long time and don't run across them often at auctions.  I finally have a wonderful ring box worthy of keeping Grandma Fran's engagement ring in.


A box of ties from the 1940's and 50's.  The Sgt wears ties for work and prefers the skinny tie varieties.  There are 61 ties for Sgt to choose from.  That should keep him busy for awhile!


And finally, a new bakelite bangle for myself.  There was quite a good bit of bakelite jewelry there.  I had my eye on a few other pieces but this one fell in my price range so I had to snag it up!

IMG_8689 

No more auctions for me for awhile!  I've got to start investing in the projects that need to get done around the Simple Acre this Spring.

Happy hunting, may your adventures be prosperous!

~MaryDeluxe

4 comments:

  1. Great items MaryD – I find that simple inexpensive items tend to have a higher sentimental value, then expensive lavish items. I love the ring box! It marries “you” and your Grandma into something new and wonderful. Listen to me trying to be all philosophical. Even I’m not sure what I was tried to say? I’m all about those ties! I have a couple of those 60’s skinny ties that used to belong to my father. I love wearing them to work now and again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo ties galore! Thanks for sharing your fab finds! Give me a visit some time at thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That ring box and bangle are really precious. I found a pair of rose hand-carved ivory studs for 50 cents. It made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo looks like a fun time! Nice finds :). And haha yea I have to start saving instead of spending too...or more accurately, spend, but on the projects that need to get done this summer like making the house livable!

    ReplyDelete