Tuesday, March 31, 2009

My Mid-Century Dream



As many of you know and can guess, I'm a big fan of Mid-Century modern design. I live in my own little time capsule and I don't like to be disturbed. Last June I went to an estate sale held at my dream home. The house was built in 1949 and the man who lived there moved into the house in the 1950's and was the second owner. What I love most about these types of original owner homes is that they don't get updated and are generally kept in original condition. This house was original and full of amazing period correct furniture. I got to hang out for the day at this really cool house and I even bought a few things. There were tons of dealers there so prices were high. Today I discovered that they still haven't sold the house. It needs lots of work and the right kind of owner to see the amazing gem that it is... oh and someone who can swallow the price tag $269,000 in this economy. Oh how I wish it could be me but I don't make that kind of money on my sad little teacher's salary!







Now, I'm sure you want to know what I bought...I only bought 2 things as prices were high and I'm cheapo! A set of 50's tiki palm leaves shelves and this atomic dresser which I use to hold some of my vintage purses.







10 comments:

  1. That is an amazing house! That price isn't bad at all for my area (So. Cal.). Love the shelves, the dresser and your beautiful purses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tikimama....I could never afford to live in so cal. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am new to your blog (followed a link from FedoraLounge - I'm "fortworthgal" there), but I've already read the entire thing! We're in a 1958 ranch home and are currently in the process of "restoring" it to all original furnishings. I am in love with mid-century furnishings and styles and everything you post is just fab! Okay, enough gushing for one comment... Btw I don't think the price is terrible on that home at all, but too rich for my blood!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course, I know who you are on the FL! Thanks for coming by and having a look! I'm so jealous of your 58 ranch! Lucky girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just adore this house too, and it has a swimming pool for those Tikki parties!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Mary! *Sigh* WE can't afford to live here either! But we're committed (and we've got aqua appliances, so we're not leaving!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well aqua appliances are enough to keep anyone anywhere in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Oh Oh.. That is just too perfect! I am on the hunt for that exact house here in Melbourne, but it is like a needle in a haystack here. If that cropped up in my suburb I'd buy it is a heart beat and make all my vintage living dreams come true.
    Also, Queens of Vintage (I'm a contributing writer for them) are looking for people with vintage homes to do a feature on them. Are you interested?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm interested but need to take care of a few things around here first....

    ReplyDelete