Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Spring Victory Garden


 



I finally got my Spring veggie garden planted today! These last three days have really warmed up around here and I was able to till the ground on Friday and add new organic top soil! Today I planted half the garden with Spring veggies such as...green lettuce, spring lettuce mix, peas, beets,spinach, radishes, and kale. I still have carrots, parsley, broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage to add later this week.  This is the earliest that I've gotten our Spring garden in.  For the last two years, we hadn't gotten a real Spring planting in until late April.  When I lived at DeluxeVille I never bothered with a Spring garden, I only ever planted a Summer one.  It's nice to be on schedule this year with the veggie garden!  







Even when I had my tiny back garden, I always planted veggies. It was small but perfect for a single gal of one! I would have one of each plant...pepper, tomato, zucchini, egg plant, cucumber, a row of beans, and a bunch of herbs! It didn't take up much room and it kept me well supplied! Of course now, I have tons of room and Sgt and I try to add on to our garden each year. I think everyone should have the satisfaction of growing their own food at least once in their lives. No matter how big or small your property is, there are lots of ideas out there on how you can utilize it to grow food! When I was a renter, I would always grow fresh herbs in planters on my balcony. I always thought growing herbs was a great way to start into balcony gardening and herbs were always fun and convenient to use when I was cooking!

~MaryDeluxe

9 comments:

  1. It's awesome you that you got everything in the ground. We're still waiting for the weather and ground to warm up. Last year I made the mistake of planting my seedlings too early and a freak hail storm killed everything. I was very upset.

    I've been growing my tomato and tomatillo seedlings on the window sill in the living room. It's been working out great. They get plenty of sun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You grow girl. I am just starting tomatoes and pepper seedlings still a bit frozen here for the spring crops but I am hoping soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you're growing your own, can't say I ever have, though I certainly would like too, I may start with a couple of pots this year and see how it goes. As far as Spring is concerned I'm afraid we are really suffering in the UK this year, Spring seems a long way off still, it's rather depressing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm quite jealous, I'm having serious withdrawal from my garden but the weather here is still so bad there is no point even trying to do something. I wish spring would hurry up and arrive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One day, when the skies of Texas decide to bless us with Rain once again i'd love to have a Victory garden!

    ReplyDelete
  6. After years of trying to grow veggies in our too-shady yard I'm giving up this year and just sticking to flowers. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh exciting I love growing my own veggies, though lasts year crops were far and few due to the continual rain. This year I haven't been able to get out in the garden yet to plant all my seedlings due to the cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sad thing is that in this day and age, many places it is illegal to grow your own food ( thinking home owner's association rules) I have yet to get mine planted, although the mixed greens I planted last October are still growing ( I did a half round of wire fencing and plastic over them to make a mini green house. They are about done though, getting bitter and the mustard us bolting. Time to did up and replant in the other end of the raised bed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that's a lot of stuff already in- good going! I just got my peas and onions in this week. The asparagus and rhubarb are coming up already. I still need to plant the salad greens and potatoes ASAP!

    ReplyDelete