Monday, March 28, 2011

Soap Stars

This weekend I decided to attempt making my own laundry soap. After doing a little research, I've found lots of great laundry soap recipes online. They were all fairly similar so I choose one and went to town with it.


IMG_5059
I used A bar of Ivory soap and grated it into little pieces with an old cheese grater. After that I boiled a cup of water on the stove top and slowly added the soap pieces, stirring constantly as it melted.

IMG_5077
In a separate bucket I added 2.5 gallons of hot water. Then added the melted soap mixture from the stove top. Stir until mixed!

IMG_5067
I then added 1/2 cup of washing soda and 1/2 cup of borax. Stir until blended.

IMG_5079
I poured this mixture into a container with a lid and let it set for 24 hours. It turned into a gel like consistency. I stirred this and then transferred the laundry soap to my empty laundry soap containers! I also added a touch of lavender oil to the container and shook it up. Shake before each use and use a cup per load.

More info and interesting blogs to checkout
  • I found this really great site that shows just how well home made laundry soap works compared to Tide and how much money you can save by making your own....The Simple Dollar
  • You can also check out this frugal simple blog called....Down-to-Earth Lots of great ideas to be found there!
Next on my list of things to make to save money is homemade pet food!

14 comments:

  1. Wow! Now that's something to try if you've got some time on your hands!
    Great post! Let us know how it works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a wonderful idea! It's amazing to think in the old days everyone had to hand make their own laundry soap, and probably using this same simple recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... I might have to try this it turned out so well! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been meaning to try this, but keep forgetting to buy washing soda and borax. I'm going to use a bar of Bronner's lavender soap that's been sitting around our house forever. I'm excited!

    I just made face oil and it's working really well. Check out the book "Make Your Place: Affordable, Sustainable Nesting Skills" sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make my own laundry soap - only I do a dry kind - have found the kind of bar soap you use makes a big difference in how the clothes look after (experimented when someone suggested colored and scented soaps made pretty gifts). Hope you enjoy your soapy creation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a really nice idea, and it suits my ideology: if it's cheap and ecologic to make yourself - then why buy.

    And I make my own petfood (it's not only cheaper, but the dog also likes it more and gets more meat in this way): rice, carrots and broccoli in the oven and served with meat and some cottage cheese. As training treats I give him ordinary Pedigree, in that way I also ensure that he gets minerals and vitamins that perhaps aren't in the food. I think I also need to try that biscuit recipe of yours...

    ReplyDelete
  7. T hanks! I will try it soon! Can you give us a price comparison, or did I miss that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a great idea, I'm doing some major economising right now so your posts are particularly timely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny- I was just going to make this my weekly Monday post, then decided on the jam. (great minds, and all that! ;) I've been doing this for a couple months now, 'cept I do the dry version- grated soap plus 1 c each of the other 2, and use just 1 T per load. Works great and sure saves $$$!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ZootSuit....If you follow the link to the simple dollar blog, he does a very nice break down of the money that is saved. Go have a look there.

    STM... I hear ya...any where I can cut corners and save $$ is what I'm after. I'm lucky that I enjoy doing stuff like this to boot!

    Susie... hahaha that is funny! Post yours anyway, I want to see how you do yours!

    Ina...Very cool. I'm thinking making my own pet food for two dogs and three cats will save me some $$$!

    Julie...Thanks for the book suggestion, I will check it out!

    Happy bubbles everyone!

    MaryD

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mary - You might want to check out a blog called "Chickens in the Road." She is a former suburbanite who moved to rural West Virginia and built a farm from scratch. She learned how to make her own cheese, candles, laundry soap, and even her own "quick mix." Plus, she has ADORABLE pics of her farm animals. :-) I've followed her for years and love her frugal sense and "make do and mend" attitude!

    Her link is www.chickensintheroad.com

    Melissa
    aka AmateisGal at the Fedora Lounge

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's so awesome! Quick question - is this environmentally friendly? I've been looking for simple ways to reduce my carbon/chemical/whatnot footprint and this looks like a good idea. P.S. My name is also Mary!
    ~"HistoryCornbreadLove" Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been making my own laundry detergent for about a year now. I grate Fels-Naptha soap because it literally is a laundry soap and form me, gels better than Ivory soap (which has been clumpy). I also make my own fabric softner, which is a combination of white vinegar and baking soda.

    P.S. My first name is Mary, but I go by my middle name (Thanks mom) :)

    ReplyDelete