Sunday, July 5, 2009

Dorothy's Diary



I ran across a fabulous website that I thought you all might enjoy! Perhaps you have already heard about Dorothy's Diary ?? Gives a very personal glimpse into the life of a teenage girl in 1945 -1946 through her diary. It's absolutely wonderful and a joy to read. But be warned it brought tears to my eyes as I read the epilogue.


Dorothy's Entry

“Today, Jim came over and we sat around discussing the beach party. He said he was going, too.

Later in the evening, Sis and I were waiting at 63rd & Halsted, when 2 fellows came up and started talking to us. Sunny came, so they walked us home. We took 62nd home.

I was with Herb (a twin), and Sis was with Walter ('Doots'). Herb is 5'11", dark, kind of waved hair. Very nice personality. 17 years old. Made a date for tomorrow."

Sis comments:
"Yes, this was the day Dot met Herb, and I can remember it well even today.

There was a [Whelan's] drugstore on the corner of 63rd & Halsted [map] where we'd usually wait for someone. Until now, I thought we were inside the store when Herb and Dutz (that was how Walter spelled it, but he pronounced it 'Doots') started talking to us. But then again we had no choice but to stand around, outside, and talk while waiting for Sunny.

Outside of your dad, of course, this was Dot's biggest romance, as I guess this diary will bear out."



I'm not going to say to much more about the site just in case you haven't run across it yet! Go have a look... you will truly enjoy it and it's cast of characters! Boy Dot, you sure did know how to date...such a popular gal!!!





3 comments:

  1. I marked it as a favorite and will read more this week. Thanks for the great link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brand new to me, and I cannot wait to go scope out the details of Dorthy's teenage years. Thank you very much for posting this link (and charming photos), honey.


    Wishing you a splendid week,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete